Communications Department Press Clippings
Scope and Contents
This collection encompasses press clippings collected by staff in the department of communications at the Whitney Museum of American Art. The clippings primarily relate to Museum exhibitions and programming such as reviews, listings, and other news articles. The collection also documents key developments in the history of the Museum, the activities of multiple museum branches, and ongoing programs such as the New American Filmmakers Series.
- Majority of material found in 1960-1994
Access to Collection
Collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.
Language of Materials
Press clippings of reviews, listings, announcements, and advertisements pertaining to exhibitions at the Whitney Museum of American Art. While the bulk of the clippings cover exhibitions mounted at the Museum’s main branch, there is also coverage of Museum events, general news, the New American Filmmakers series, and the activities and development of Whitney Museum branches.
Organization of the Collection
This collection is organized into seven series. Within each series, folders are arranged in alphabetical order by title unless noted at the series or subseries level. Titles of folders are primarily the titles of Whitney Museum exhibitions. In some instances the titles of folders include subjects such as Museum events, Museum branches, building information, news related to acquisitions, museum staff, and other activities.
Series I: Whitney Museum of American Art - Main Branch, 1935-1994
- Subseries A: Subseries A: Exhibitions, 1935-1994
- Subseries B: New American Filmmakers Series, 1968-1994
Series II: Whitney Museum of American Art- Branch Museums General, 1986-1992
- Subseries A: Branch Museums - General - 1 of 2, 1988-1992
- Subseries B: Branch Museums - General - 2 of 2, 1986-1988
Series III: Whitney Museum of American Art - Downtown Branch, 1967-1993
- Subseries A: General, 1967-1993
- Subseries B: Performances, 1981-1991
- Subseries C:Exhibitions, 1973-1993
Series IV: Whitney Museum of American Art at Champion (Fairfield County Branch), 1980-1994
- Subseries A: General, 1981-1993
- Subseries B: Performances, 1982-1993
- Subseries C: Exhibitions, 1980-1994
Series V: Whitney Museum of American Art at Altria (Philip Morris/Altria Group Branch), 1973-1994
- Subseries A: General, 1979-1994
- Subseries B: Special Events and Performance on 42nd St., 1983-1994
- Subseries C: Exhibitions, 1973-1990
Series VI: Whitney Museum of American Art at Equitable Center, 1966-1993
- Subseries A: Branch Beginnings, 1984-1993
- Subseries B: Equinox Performance Series, 1988-1990
- Subseries C: Exhibitions, 1966-1993
Series VII: General, 1971-1995
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.