Fairfield County Branch Exhibition Records
Scope and Contents
This collection comprises exhibition records of the Whitney Museum of American Art, Fairfield County, which was located in the headquarters of Champion International Corporation at One Champion Plaza in Stamford, Connecticut. The records consist of correspondence, loan agreements, installation plans, photographs, publicity, relating to the organizing of exhibitions.
Biographical / Historical
In July of 1981, the Whitney Museum of American Art opened its second branch museum, Fairfield County, at One Champion Plaza in Stamford, Connecticut. Champion International Corporation underwrote the annual cost of operation for the branch, including staff wages, and provided exhibition space in their corporate headquarters. The building, designed by architect Ulrich Franzen, provided the Whitney with roughly 3,600 square feet of exhibition space on two levels. The museum's inaugural exhibition, “Pioneering the Century, 1900-1940,” featured paintings, sculptures, and other works from the Whitney's Permanent Collection. The exhibition was organized by Lisa Philips, then associate curator of branch museums. Admission was offered to the public free of charge. Fairfield County branch ceased operations in 1992.
Whitney Museum of American Art. Pioneering the Century, 1900-1940: Selections from the Permanent Collection of the Whitney Museum of American Art. Exhibition catalogue. New York: Whitney Museum of American Art, Fairfield County, 1981. https://archive.org/details/pioneeringcentur00whit/
Whitney Museum of American Art. A Tradition Established, 1940-1970. Exhibition catalogue. New York: Whitney Museum of American Art, Fairfield County, 1981. https://archive.org/details/traditionestabli00whit/
5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The exhibition records are organized chronologically by the opening date of each exhibition.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script